I stumbled on this fabulous recipe and prepared it for a Memorial Day cookout. It was a hit with both the adults and the children.
I followed the recipe, but doubled it for the party. I was thrilled to have leftovers of this savory salad. Instead of just serving our leftovers as a side dish with our next meal, I turned it into our main entree. I simply filled whole wheat tortillas with the quinoa salad to create a Quinoa Salad Wrap. Easy. Healthy. Yummy.
Recipe is courtesy of Taste of Home.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped, seeded, and peeled cucumber
- ½ cup sliced pepperoncini
- ½ cup Greek olives, pitted and halved
- ¾ cup of reduced fat Italian or Greek salad dressing, divided
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, spinach, cheese, tomatoes, beans, cucumber, pepperoncini and olives.
- Pour ½ cup dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, drizzle remaining dressing over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.